After three war victories (against Denmark 1864, Austria 1866 and France 1870-1) Prussia built the Victory Column (Siegessäule) to commemorate the wins. The statue was inaugurated 1873.
Originally the column was located on the Königsplatz near the Reichstag building and had three rings. It was moved by Nazis to its current location in the Tiergarten on 1939, and a fourth ring was added at that time.
It’s worth to climb almost the 300 steps to the top of the column. Only there you can understand the amazing greenery of the Tiergarten park.
Victory Column, designed by Heinrich Strack, is 67 meter high.
The bronze statue (designed by Friedrich Drake) on top of the column is the goddess Victoria. It is 8.3 metres high and weights 35 tonnes.
There are 285 steps to the top of the column.
View to the east down Strasse des 17 Juni to the Brandenburg Gate.
TV Tower and construction cranes in the horizon.
View to the north-east: The Bundespräsidialamt (Office of the Federal President) on the left side of Spreeweg.
Resting on the lower platform of the column.